Barry Switzer Is the Biggest Joke and Scumball Ever in College Football Coaching! He Chastizes Manziel for Bad Behavior! September 5, 2013 | Football and General Sports Discussions | Forum

Welcome to the Forum. Please Register or Sign In and Post.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS Avatar_Biletnikoff
Barry Switzer Is the Biggest Joke and Scumball Ever in College Football Coaching! He Chastizes Manziel for Bad Behavior! September 5, 2013
September 5, 2013
6:52 am
Sports Contrarian
Members
Forum Posts: 58
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

LaughLaughLaughLaugh

Like Bill Clinton, the disbarred felon from Arkansas, receiving a Father of the Year award in 2013 (doubtless for all the model behavior he offered his daughter when he was not having sex with numerous other women while he was married), Barry Switzer's turning moralist and advising the jerkish Johnny Manziel to stop his bad behavior is the joke of the year in college sports.

Yet, Switzer, according to writer Kevin McGuire did just that.
Link: http://collegefootballtalk.nbc.....y-manziel/
Money quote from society's latest slime turned moralist-- Switzer:
“For him (Manziel) to act so arrogant,€“ I wanted to jerk his face mask and I wanted to grab him,” Switzer went on to say. “Of course you get fired for that now; in the old days you could get away with that. It’s the world we live in. It’s a misplaced value system. When I see this happen I wonder where the core value system comes from, if he has a core value system. This young man needs a damn hell of a lot of development.”

McGuire realized the profound irony: "It is somewhat ironic to see a man like Switzer sound off on players behaving in an arrogant fashion, but I’ll refrain from expanding on the pot calling the kettle black idea here and move on." Switzer and his players got away with a lot, indeed. Some core value system-- a slimey set of values.
The NY Times published an article in 1994 regarding Switzer's sordid coaching history on the occasion of his hiring by the Dallas Cowboys as coach.
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/03.....-past.html

Excerpt: "Indeed, during his years at Oklahoma, Switzer was widely regarded as a coach who put winning so far above character that he didn't hesitate to break recruiting and other rules and who couldn't care less what his stars did off the field as long as they won on Saturday afternoon.

In his 1988 autobiography, 'The Boz,' (Doubleday), Brian Bosworth, one of Switzer's great linebackers, who was suspended for steroid use before the 1987 Orange Bowl, described Switzer as a good motivator who 'turns his back' on his players' off-field behavior. Among such behavior, according to Bosworth, was the freebasing of cocaine at will and lavish living on the illicit largesse of Sooner boosters.
Against that freewheeling backdrop, it seems a wonder that the Sooners were put on probation by the National Collegiate Athletic Association only twice in the Switzer era. But the second time, in December 1988, proved to be the beginning of the end of Switzer's reign at Oklahoma.
In one 32-day period early in 1989, , one of his players was charged with shooting a teammate, another was charged with selling cocaine and three were charged with a gang rape. The clamor for Switzer's removal grew too much for university authorities to ignore. It reached a crescendo when the Oklahoma Class of '49 said it would cancel its 40th reunion if Switzer wasn't fired."

Yep, it's a different America with low knowledge voters reelecting massive failures, morality and ethics-challenged Bill Clinton selected as Father of the Year, and Barry Switzer recast as the Great Moralist! Laugh

September 6, 2013
4:15 pm
FootballFan
Admin
Forum Posts: 50
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

When a Media Attack Creates a Backlash: Johnny Manziel

http://www.cbssports.com/gener.....tic-figure

Greg Doyel:

"Lou Holtz wants to choke Johnny Manziel. Barry Switzer wants to jerk his facemask. Matt Millen wants to shove a foot up his rear end, and Mark May wants to lecture him.

This is how the tide of public opinion turns ...

... in favor of Johnny Manziel.

You can see it coming, right? I can because I study history, and not stuff like the Battle of Hastings or the Industrial Revolution or anything as boring and long ago as that. I mean recent history as it relates to the delicate balance between the media and the rest of the sports world. I'm talking about...the Tebow Revolution and even a little bit of ... J.J. Redick.

This history lesson comes with an equation. It's like math, only easier:

When the media brazenly pushes its agenda too far, people revolt.

We revolted against Tebow, and I can tell you the exact moment it happened: The 2009 BCS title game. You remember what Fox's Thom Brennaman said that night on TV?

If you're fortunate enough to spend five minutes or 20 minutes around Tim Tebow, your life is better for it.

I know Thom, and I like Thom, but that's silly and people hated it. And they started to hate Tebow for it. Hold up anyone as a bastion of all that is good -- or in the case of Hansbrough, all that is hustle -- and the world refuses to go along. Because the world is smarter than the media when we in the media make the mistake of believing our own hyperbole.

By his senior year at Duke, after four years of ESPN shoving his greatness down our throat, J.J. Redick was the most despised college basketball player in America. That has always bothered me, because I knew Redick. I covered Duke for the Charlotte Observer, and he was like so many college athletes -- a good kid who became a nice young man. But fans didn't know that. They just knew that four years of media fawning was too much, and they were sick of him. And they turned on him."

Read the rest of the article....

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 49

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 670